Charles M. Benbrook, Donald R. Davis, Bradley J. Heins, Maged A. Latif, Carlo Leifert, Logan Peterman, Gillian Butler, Ole Faergeman, Silvia Abel-Caines, Marcin Baranski
Published January 2018 in Food Science and Nutrition
- FAQs About the Study
- Additional Resources
- Resources for Media
Join the discussion on our Facebook page!
When the ration fed to dairy cows contains essentially 100% grass and forage-based feeds, milk has more than double the content of key, heart-healthy fats — in particular the polyunsaturated fats known as, and conjugated linoleic acid, or CLA.
Nutritional modeling shows that the significant increase in the levels ofand CLA in grassmilk, and grassmilk-based dairy products, could have a big impact on health trends by enhancing the overall quality of fat in the American diet.
Study findings are presented below in short and long versions and multiple formats: prezi, video, PowerPoint (PPT), and PDF. Please feel free to download and use these presentations.
[Note: to download video versions for offline presentation, click to open at vimeo.com, and then click on the “Download” button under the video For PowerPoints, click the dropdown menu below the image and select “Download a Copy.”]
Summary of Key Findings [make bigger]
- Narrated Video (run time 10 minutes, 51 seconds)
- Prezi of Summary (you advance slides, approximate run time 8 minutes)
- PowerPoint of Summary (click the dropdown arrow on the thumbnail below for a download link):
- Print the PowerPoint (2 slides to a page)
Detailed Presentation of Key Findings
- Video (run time 17 minutes 20 seconds)
- Prezi (you advance the slides; approximate run time 17 minutes)
#1 Grassmilk Health Benefits Video (71 seconds)
- PowerPoint version of Grassmilk Health Benefits (click the dropdown arrow on the thumbnail below for a download link):
- PDF of PowerPoint (2 slides per page, 2.7 megs)
#2 Gimme Three Steps Video (44 seconds)
- PowerPoint version of Gimme Three Steps (click the dropdown arrow for a download link):
- PDF of PowerPoint (2 slides per page, 960 KB)
# 3 Grass Makes Good Milk Video (73 seconds)
#4 Choose Grassmilk (21 seconds)
#5 Cows Eat Grass? (40 seconds)
To view other Hygeia Analytics video resources, check out our Vimeo album.
Access FAQs about the study, key findings, study costs, and funding here.
- Brad Heins, University of Minnesota, “Why Grass Matters”
- Charles Benbrook and Don Davis, “The Multiple Benefits of Grassmilk Dairy Production Deserve a Closer Look“
- Business Standard, “Drinking ‘grassmilk’ may boost heart health,” March 1, 2018.
- Melanie Jenkins, “New research claims health benefits of grass-fed milk,” Farmers Weekly – UK, March 1, 2018.
- Melody Meyer, “Got Milk from 100% Organic Grass-Fed Cows? It’s Healthier for You!,” Organic Matters, February 27, 2018
- PR Newswire, “Research Paper Shows Organic Valley Grassmilk® is More Nutritious,” February 28, 2018
- Science Daily, “Forage-based diets on dairy farms produce nutritionally enhanced milk,” February 28, 2018
We have prepared several graphic resources for use on social media. Click here for a full list, or select each thumbnail below.
Resources for Media
- Information on grassmilk products
- Still photos
- Video footage of grassmilk farming operations is available upon request. Please contact Hans Eisenbeis: email@example.com at CROPP Cooperative.
- To schedule an interview with a grassmilk farmer, contact Hans Eisenbeis: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email Charles Benbrook for further information or special requests.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the above materials on the grassmilk paper are those of the authors of the study and Hygeia Analytics, and do not reflect the official policy or position of CROPP Cooperative/Organic Valley.